INFORMATION ABOUT OUR ORGANISATION
Hartington Upper Quarter is a civil parish in the High Peak district of Derbyshire, England, originating from the division of the ancient parish of Hartington into four. At the time of the 2001 census, the parish had a population of 451. The parish is long and thin, extending from the north-west of Buxton, including the Goyt Valley, down through Brandside, parts of Burbage and Harpur Hill, to Brierlow Bar and Sterndale Moor in the south east. It borders parishes in High Peak and Derbyshire Dales , as well as Staffordshire Moorlands districts.
HARTINGTON is a parish, consisting of four townships, namely, MIDDLE, UPPER, NETHER and TOWN QUARTERS, of which Upper Hartington includes the hamlet of BURBAGE.
Hartington gives the title of Marquis to the Dukes of Devonshire.
Hartington Upper Quarter is a township, adjoining Buxton, portions of which have been taken into the ecclesiastical parishes of Earl Sterndale and Burbage respectively and it forms the north-west extremity of the parish, in the Western division of the county, Wirksworth hundred, Ashbourne petty sessional division, and in the union and county court district of Chapel-en-le-Frith. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. owns nearly the whole of this township. At Painer’s Pool bridge, near Black Clough, 4½ miles from Buxton, the counties of Derby, Chester and Stafford meet. Axe Edge is a mountainous height, in this township, 1,756 feet above the level of the sea, in which the rivers Dove, Wye, Dane and Goyt have their source, these streams flow in different directions, the Goyt and Dane falling into the Mersey, and the Dove and Wye joining the Humber. The area of the township, with the hamlet of Burbage, is 10,311 acres, of which about one-third are common and heath, being principally on gritstone, the inclosed land being mostly on limestone; rateable value, £12,341; the population of the township of Hartington Upper Quarter in 1811 was 1,695 and in 1881, 2,174. It is now only 451 souls.